Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Challenge

Hey Guys I'm back again =)
Last night me and my sister went to church for a youth group Bible study called "Pancakes & Praise." Why it is called pancakes and praise is because we eat dinner together which is pancakes and the praise part of it is because we try to glorify Christ through that night.

Now this year my youth pastor, Dave, is doing some amazing things in our youth group. He is changing it in powerful ways. We are doing this sermon thing every Wed. together. It's a DVD that we watch that is really cool. It's called Just Walk Across the Room. And why it is called that is because it is about getting out of our self only shells and going up to someone and talking to them. It might just be a "Hi. How are you" kind of a thing but we don't know what kind of a difference those few words could have on them. And that "Hi. How are you." could turn into a subject about Jesus Christ! Our youth group my youth pastor has noticed is all about "me" kind of a thing. We don't do enough for others. We come go in the basement of the church (where the youth room is) and do our stuff then leave. But what about reaching out to others while down there and Just walking across the room to say hi to someone new.

So last night Dave spoke a bit, prayed and then we went out. We jumped in the church van and drove down into town. And Dave wanted us to get out of our comfort zones and learn to be nice.
So he had us go up to people and even if it was a simple "Hello" to someone. Because sometimes we as a youth group get so rapped up in to ourselves we don't think of saying hello to someone. We don't think of smiling to someone to make there day. We just go along talking with our own friends. He had a paper with simple questions to ask people and it was amazing. I learned to get out of my comfort zone and not to be so shy where I can't even smile to someone.
I was walking around with my two friends and the last couple we went up to and talk to was the challenge. We ask a few friendly questions and the last on the paper that Dave gave us started the challenge. "So in all of history who do you look up to the most?" We asked. They said who theirs was. (I don't remember who it was because it was some unknown person I had no idea who it was!)
And I felt like I should tell who mine was. And I did! "Well, the person I look up to the most is Jesus Christ." my heart suddenly started pounding really hard with excitement!
"Oh we're not in to all that Jesus stuff." They answered. But amazingly enough it turned into a big conversation about Jesus and about our Spiritual life. The whole time my heart was pounding incredibly fast. It was a big challenge for me because they were not budging off what they believed in. "I have to see God to believe in him." They said. And it was such a challenge for me. For I have NEVER in m LIFE had an experience to talk to people about Christ and I tried my best to speak the truth to them but they were not going to give up. And I knew we shouldn't be pressuring them at all to do anything for they were who they were. But it was a chance. And in that movie we watched that night was a Pastor telling about a man he knew who he really called a good friend but he wasn't a christian. And for 8 years he told him about Christ but his friend wouldn't believe. 8 years went by. (Now that is a LONG time.) And finally after 8 years the man excepted Jesus Christ as His Savior. And who knows! Those people WAY down the road might remember their conversation with us about Christ and really put it to thought and look for help to learn more about Christ.

It was just an amazing powerful time for me. And I would go tell people on the streets about Christ again in a heart beat!
God bless!

A Servant 4 Christ,
Lizzie

No comments: