1 Thessalonians 5:11. Ephesians 4:29.
When I first heard this song I really liked it. Not just the awesome pick-up tune it has, but the words. They are powerful! And today I wanted to post about how important it is we build others up with our words.I know for me when people say rude and hurtful things, even if it isn't said to me, it really makes me sad and it makes me a bit angry that they have the nerve to say that! And yes, I have said things too that I have regretted. But I know when I say uplifting things it makes me feel better too! It makes my day to encourage others. It really does!
Whether we know it or not, words really mean a lot. Just with one word we can tare down some one's castle in the sky of dreams. With one word though, we can also encourage others to capture that dream they have. One encouraging word can almost save someone from doing something they will forever regret.
You know what God showed me? There is a difference from encouraging vs. complimenting.
Compliment vs. Encourage.
There is a difference? You might ask. Yeah, in away there is.
Complimenting is different from encouraging because a compliment almost puffs your self pride and outward appearance up. "Oh, that person likes my hair?! Oh, I'm so pretty then!" then you end up playing with your hair more.
Now, don't misunderstand me with this post though. I'm not in the slightest way trying to offend or judge others! I'm just telling from what I have experienced. It least with me when someone compliments my appearance it pushes my self pride up...
Encouraging on the other hand, it cuts through the walls that are built up and cuts down to the heart. Softening it with each word. Reassuring the person that the encourager understands and really means and cares about them and their heart.
Encouraging whether it is as simple as telling your friends that you love them and that their friendship is very special or if it is sitting next to a loner at youth group and telling them they are worth more than anything in this world to God. Whatever kind of encouragement it might be, for me it is worth a lot more than a compliment. It's genuine. It shows that they really care about you and your friendship.
It is my goal to encourage more than compliment. Not that it is wrong to compliment! No! I compliment all the time! But sometimes we think like when it's awkward and your standing with someone you don't know very well you think Okay, this is awkward.... "I like your shoes." you say when really you don't mean it.
Have you ever done that?! Okay, maybe I'm the only one that sometimes does that?!
My goal is to encourage and be genuine about it. Example:
A few weeks ago I go together with some friends. We had a sleepover. Well, these girls I'm not really good friends with. I use to go to their church but when we switched to our new church it kinda set a bit of a little distance between our friendships. We have never been close. Never talked about anything deep. And this certain group of friends kinda get together to compete in their looks.
It's sad. Before the sleepover I was praying and asking God why they all were still in my life. I wondered about the purpose God had in me still being "friends" with them.
I chose to go to encourage. Not to fix their problems. Not to put on a "preacher's hat" and tell them my point of view. But I went to encourage. And wow...God used that for His glory!
Like never before, everyone opened up and shared struggles in their faith and shared their pain. God seriously blew my socks off! That was a miracle for this hard group of girls that NEVER share anything about themselves that will make them look weak. I chose to go and encourage and God used that as an open door to encourage deep in their hearts and God spoke through me to heal the pain and hurt each one of them were going through.
People, God uses encouragement to tare down walls between friendships to do a healing work in their hearts.
It is amazing what God can do when you choose to say one little encouraging thing to someone. Through one little encouraging word God can use that to do a work in their heart whether you know it or not.
You don't know what God can do in hearts when you say one little encouraging thing.
Choose to encourage.
Ephesians 4:29 says:
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as it fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those to hear."
Powerful verse that we shouldn't forget. Guys, lets all try to encourage and build up rather than tare down. Only if we all knew what damage we are causing when we say hurtful things. My prayer is that God would really show me personally how to speak with love to my siblings and family. I can often get rapped up in saying mean things when I'm feeling crummy...It stinks. And it's not like I feel better once I say something mean! It makes me feel awful!
AND even a simple smile could make some one's day! Let God shine out of your smile and warm some one's heart. Let God's love bubbled out of you so people would see the joy you have in Christ through your smile!
I pray that this post would encourage you to speak love, not bring you down and make you feel awful. I don't want this post to make you feel horrid but I pray it would encourage you!
Comment and tell how you've been doing! Blessings to you!
A Servant 4 Christ,
Lizzie
1 comment:
Amen!! Really loved this post Lizzie and I'm so glad everything worked out with your friends. Sometimes it's like, God really? This person, really? But at the end of the day we see God's glory revealed. Encouragement. Such an important topic to touch on and that I'm really glad I got to hear. God has definitely given you the spiritual gift of encouragement because you always leave sweet comments that really do leave me feeling really encouraged and happy. Thank you for being a great friend and for just being an awesome & inspiring person. We may be young but God is amazing at what He does...even in our weaknesses He is STRONG. (:
Ummm...as of late School has been amazing but also pretty time consuming...We've had Worship Nights at my house that we call Bethel Nights and God is just doing some amazing things. Just a whole bunch of presence lovers in one living room. A few words for a long story lol.
God bless you sooo much!
-Deya
Post a Comment